Once upon a time Joe and Cindy set out on an adventure kinda like the fairy tale Cinderella. In 1980 when the Farnach’s purchased the property where Cinderella’s shines today, it was in such a state of disrepair that someone had plunked a sign in the junk pile out front proclaiming it “Sanford & Son”. (if you don’t know what that means, google it). Joe had a gleam in his eye… where other people saw hopelessness, he saw possibilities.
After 13 truckloads of debris were hauled away, the motel could be completely renovated and transformed into affordable, quality housing – completing Chapter One. In hindsight, Joe didn’t realize that “junk” was actually priceless antiques – it figures!
Not one to keep still, Joe (who is rumored to have quite a sweet tooth – just look at him) began Chapter Two with the creation of the first true ice cream stand in Sylvan Beach. But what to call it? What would be worthy? That’s when Joe decided to name it in honor of Cindy, his wife, and the love of his life. He remembered the childhood nickname her dad had affectionately called her – “Cinderella”. And thus, Cinderella’s was introduced to Sylvan Beach!
A year later Joe and Cindy expanded the ice cream stand and opened a restaurant too! It wasn’t long before people were meeting friends and bringing their families to Cinderella’s to meet the young couple- and enjoy Joe’s cooking, Cindy’s warm smile and their welcoming hospitality and good humored teasing.
As the years have flown by, many Chapters of their lives have unfolded. The Farnach’s were blessed with two children – Brendan and Brittany, who grew up participating in the family business. Over the next 30 years Cinderella’s became a “must stop” for the visitors to the Sylvan Beach area. Many improvements and innovations have been made over the years. Here are some of the highlights:
- The original five apartments were converted to guest accommodations, with an additional four rooms available from standard size to jacuzzi suites, some with fireplaces that are open year ’round.
- The ice cream stand again expanded to include a large outdoor seating area and umbrella tables for your enjoyment.
- The dining room undergoes annual renovations, closing each fall to overhaul, redecorate and deep clean. Each year when Cinderella’s reopens, patrons eagerly await to see what is new this season!
- Food offerings are always changing as the Farnach’s carefully create and sample new taste sensations while maintaining traditional favorites like fresh haddock dinners every day and Saturday’s all-you-can-eat Strip Steak and Jumbo Crab Legs.
- Community involvement and support included youth sports, assorted fundraisers, scouting events (including making a dream trip to Europe come true for a local Girl Scout troop) and more! One of Joe’s greatest joys was the creation of a home for the local Head Start which helped many children in the Sylvan/Verona Beach area over the years, (unfortunately it succumbed to government cutbacks a few years ago).
- We have been privileged to employ many local faces, watching them grow up and go to college or choosing to remain – some making a career at Cinderella’s.
- 2014 saw the creation of a new and updated logo that represents the Farnach’s continuing dedication to hospitality, tradition and great taste! It was also the year of unveiling the full service bar, great for gathering around and sharing stories of your own with friends!
In 2015, Joe and Cindy’s daughter Brittany stepped into the role of General Manager and is following in her mom and dad’s footsteps with many of her own updates & ideas. Her flair for interior decorating is evident in the fun, colorful “beach” feel that surrounds you – both in the restaurant interior and exterior, guest rooms and suites – (which is a father-daughter work in progress).
Brittany continues to give back to the local and surrounding communities. Her fresh squeezed lemonade stand is set up in the Village Park during various community events, and she donates the proceeds back to her relay team (in honor of her Mom who is a cancer survivor) and local schools for fundraisers.
And Cinderella’s is still growing… Outside dining has been expanded for even more seating and enjoying that sunshine or late evening sunset. Enjoy new menu choices and entrees, our endless soup and salad bar, crazy good sundaes for dessert and drink specials. We also offer Catering and Private Parties. Check out our website for specials, coupons and more information: cinderellasrestaurant.com
Who says fairy tales don’t come true? Thank you, for your part in making our dreams come true!
—-Joe, Cindy, Brittany, Brendan and the extended Farnach Family
Oh, and what happened to Brendan? He is president of All Seasonings Ingredients, another family owned business in Oneida (allseasonings.com), that started with a “scoop and a scale” and a gleam in Joe’s eye. But that’s another story…